Monday 5 March 2018

International Gull Meeting, Ruse, Bulgaria

Apologies, I have been neglecting my blog lately for one reason or another. Back in February I participated in the International Gull Meeting (IGM) that was held in Ruse, Bulgaria. Unfortunately I had picked up a very bad bug somewhere (work I think) and arrived back home feeling very unwell. I  lost over a week feeling very poorly.

The IGM, organised by Strahil Peev, was very good and I really enjoyed the talks. I did a presentation on the Horsvaer, Baltic Gulls that went well I hope, but I have to be honest and say I was very nervous.

It is a really good opportunity to meet with new friends and old ones who share the same passion for gulls. It was my second meeting, so I am becoming a veteran although some there had been to every IGM ever held. I had a really good time talking with the Spanish guys and sharing my photos of gulls from Portugal with them.

We made two visits to the local dump. The first was a complete failure, as the gulls would not come in, but luckily we got some action on the second visit.

Ruse Tip
Some of the Gulls

Some of the Yellow-legged Gulls had a different primary pattern to the typical L. m. michahellis we see further west. They are like birds described elsewhere as 'Eastern' Yellow-legged Gulls. Others were more typical of the ones I am used to seeing. The one below shows a pale tongue on the longest primary feather (P10). Generally there is more black on P10 of an adult Yellow-legged Gull.

Yellow-legged Gull, Ruse, Bulgaria

Yellow-legged Gull, Ruse, Bulgaria


The dominant species was Yellow-legged Gull, but some Caspian Gulls were present.

Caspian Gull, Ruse Bulgaria

Caspian Gull, Ruse, Bulgaria
We stayed in the Danube Plaza hotel, which of course was close to the River Danube. This great river was slightly disappointing as the best I could find was a few Coots and Mallards. I did see about 60 Hawfinches close to the river, so that was good.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good time Carl, I think a LROS talk must be on the cards soon well fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about an LROS talk, as gulls might just scare off the audience, but I would love to do it.

    ReplyDelete