Sunday 25 January 2015

Third-winter Glaucous Gull

I am just four colour-rings short of recording 500 individual colour-ringed gulls at Shawell. This morning I chanced my arm and headed off to Shawell. The landfill is shut on Sunday, but sometimes there is still loads of gulls in the area. Not this morning, but there was about fifty gulls, mainly GBBGs, feeding amongst the rubbish still exposed on the tipping area. I set up my scope and started to search amongst them and a very pale gull flew threw my view. I panned after it and fortunately it landed just to the left. It was a third-winter Glaucous Gull. This is good as it demonstrates what a third-winter should look like after suggestions the one I found last Tuesday might be a third-winter. It is quite adult like, but the bill is still very immature looking.

The area where the gulls were feeding was quite distant, so I could only get poor quality record shots.

Third-winter Glaucous Gull, Cotesbach LF Site, 25/01/15

No comments:

Post a Comment