Saturday 6 September 2014

First WeBS Count

I have agreed to count Shawell A5 Lagoons for the WeBS (wetland bird survey), so although the official day is tomorrow, I did my first count today. Fewer gulls visit the site on a  Sunday when the tip is shut, which is why I elected to do Saturday.

There is only a small area of water compared to many sites, so no massive duck numbers, but I was very pleased when Chris Wiltshier spotted a Black-tailed Godwit. We also had single Dunlin, Common Sandpiper and Snipe. Five little Grebes were also present.

The online survey form thinks that eight Yellow-legged Gulls is a big number - not sure what it would think about the numbers present in mid-summer?

A few more Great Black-backed and Common Gulls were present today and a couple of the big boys posed for the camera.

Great Black-backed Gulls

No rare or scarce gulls today, but I did scratch my head trying to work out what the gull below is. I presume it is just a non-typical 2 CY LBB Gull, but it doesn't look like any of the others I saw of a similar age today. You have to accept that most of the unusual ones are part of the normal variation and move on. I would, however, be interested to know what anyone else thinks.


Lesser Black-backed Gull?
2CY LBB Gull?

No comments:

Post a Comment