Thursday 7 August 2014

Juvenile Caspian Gull

Another visit to the Shawell area on Tuesday night and another juvenile Caspian Gull. It was the first gull I looked at and I immediately realised it was a good one. At first it wasn't as structurally obvious as the juvenile I found last weekend, but its plumage was really good. Whilst I was looking at it I realised it was colour-ringed. 

Last year I set myself the target of finding a juvenile Caspian Gull and also a ringed Caspian Gull - well with this one I have struck gold. This is a great reward for the hours I spend searching through thousands of gulls.

Juvenile Caspian Gull (XDFV)

As soon as I saw the ring I knew I had to read it!

Luckily the colour-ring was easily readable. With help from Ronald Klien, I quickly traced the ringing origin to Eastern Germany. I was overjoyed that I had found a juvenile Caspian Gull and one that would help piece together where the Caspian Gulls visiting Britain originate from. I now know that it was ringed in a mixed breeding colony where Caspian Gulls dominate, but hybrids are fairly common. Both Ronald and I feel this is a good Caspian Gull, probably a female. I will have to wait a little while for the ringer to submit his report to the Hiddensee Ringing organisation before I receive all the ringing details.


Juvenile Caspian Gull (also juvenile LBB Gull and Yellow-legged Gull)
XDFV

No comments:

Post a Comment