Wednesday 31 July 2013

Night Heron

It was perfect timing, my phone went off just as I was pulling up outside home after work - a Night Heron was at Thornton Res. Late news of a small brown unidentified heron at Thornton Res had already been circulated, so it was a great relief to many that the bird had reappeared and been identified.  I set off straight the way and I was pleased to find that it was still there when I arrived. Local Thornton birder Andy Smith kindly gave me a look through his scope - pressure off. This bird attracted most of the keen county birders, some I hadn't seen for ages. Shame that the light was poor due to the fact it was raining but you can't have everything. There have been eight Night Herons seen previously in Leicestershire and Rutland and the last acceptable record was back in 1984.

Immature Black-crowned Night Heron
Immature Black-crowned Night Heron

1 comment: